Environmental Management with
Geographical Information Science
(co-funded by European Commission under Asia IT&C Prog. ASIE/2004/091-778)
INTRODUCTION (click here for full details)
The project enhances awareness about global environmental issues, identifies specific local environmental problems and develops professional and educational capabilities to utilise GIScience for their management in Bhutan, Nepal and Bangladesh.
The project also generates a congenial atmosphere for assimilating the relevant know-how of European institutions in Asian institutions; particularly in Bhutan, Nepal and Bangladesh; as well as for mutual cooperation among these countries.
The project is initiated by UNIGIS-based group of European GIS-labs and it is co-funded by the European Commission under ASIA IT&C programme (No. ASIE/2004/091-778).
The project duration was 2 years from March 2005 to March 2007.
This will be achieved through 3 main processes:
The major objective of the emGIS is ‘Capacity Building in Environmental Management with Geographic Information Science’ in the 3 participating Asian countries i.e. Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal.
- organise courses at Asian partner institution for mid-level professionals and university level students
- facilitate short stay of the professionals from the Asian partner institution at the European partner institutions
- initiate eLearning system at the Asian partner institution for sustainable and wider utilisation of the project resources beyond the project period.
- 2 Separate courses for teachers+ mid-level professionals and studwnts were organised each year:
- Technical Level Courses (TECH-COURSE)
- Target Groups: University Level Teachers and Mid-Level Professionals
- Total Duration: 4 Weeks (full day course) in 1 Year divided into 2 stages of 2 weeks
- 38 participants joined the Courses and Completed 25 projects on different themes
- University Level Courses (UNI-COURSE)
- Target Groups: Graduate and Post-Graduate Level Students
- Total Duration: 6 Weeks (full day course) in 1 Year divided into 2 stages of 3 weeks
- 41 participants joined the Courses and Completed 20 projects on different themes
- Concluding Conference was organised on 2nd February, 2007 in Thimphu (BHUTAN)
- this attracted more than 100 partipants from emGIS Alumni, Royal University of Bhutan as well as from various ministries and organisations in Bhutan.
|Contact: Dr. Shahnawaz, Centre for Geoinformatics (Z_GIS), University of Salzburg, Austria.